Thursday, June 9, 2011

Why do I wanna be an educator?

Lately as I am nearing the end of my college degree with a BA in Early Childhood education I have been wondering if I am meant to be a teacher. If its really what I want to do. I have  been following this dream since I was two. I have always loved pretend teaching and making a difference in the world.
Right at this moment I am sitting outside in 90 degree weather with my 5 year old nephew playing in a plastic turtle sandbox filled with water. Seeing him interact with a bucket of toys and a pool of water I realize the joy of a child
To me I look and see a pool of water that is in a plastic turtle outside on a hot day. Its’ not special water just from the garden hose and toys that we had in the basement as outside toys from last summer. But to him it’s a whole word of adventure. He has a plastic plane and figures that are flying all over the world he says, to florida, mexico, china and so many other places. He has a water bottle that he is filling diligently and pouring on the trees and flowers to share with them. He is finding ants on the ground and calling them friends.  He is excited at the ant crawling around on the patio table and making up stories galore about the it.
Today seeing him play in the pool of water with toys, hanging with his ant friends and just having fun being out in the open area free to get his feet and hands dirty with dirt and mud because he is washable. We have been out here for about 45 minutes and at first the idea of coming out here was a dread because of the heat but now its so worth it.

To hear him laugh, to hear him squeal in delight of all that he has going on around him, it’s the best feeling in the world and I cant wait to have my degree with a teaching job and a classroom full of kids exploring the adventures of the world around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment