Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Messy Grace

With the recent "Love Wins" movement going on, I am very excited with that way Gay Lifestyle is becoming accepted. Gay pride and LGBTQ issues have always been a passion of mine. Many years ago when I started my first ever YouTube channel, I was really into gay pride videos.

In high school for our senior year we had to complete a Social Justice project. The topic was of our choosing and the project consisted of a 15 page research paper and presentation. I chose Homelessness of LGBTQ Youth. I no longer have a copy of the paper, but the memories from that project have lasted with me in many ways. I remember going to the True Colors event and having my own panel in which I talked about my research. It was at that event that I had the courage to come out as Bisexual to the world.

When I saw the book Messy Grace by Caleb Kaltenbach avaliable on Blogging for Books, I figured, WHY NOT?

Caleb Kaltenbach was raised by LGBT parents, marched in gay pride parades as a youngster, and experienced firsthand the hatred and bitterness of some Christians toward his family.
 
But then Caleb surprised everyone, including himself, by becoming a Christian…and a pastor.
 
Very few issues in Christianity are as divisive as the acceptance of the LGBT community in the church. As a pastor and as a person with beloved family members living a gay lifestyle, Caleb had to face this issue with courage and grace. 
 
Messy Grace shows us that Jesus’s command to “love your neighbor as yourself” doesn’t have an exception clause for a gay “neighbor”—or for that matter, any other “neighbor” we might find it hard to relate to. Jesus was able to love these people and yet still hold on to his beliefs. So can you. Even when it’s messy. - See more at: http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/catalog.php?work=246881#sthash.MncOOG3Z.dpuf


The book really hit home for me. Being Christian myself, our church has just become open and accepting. Many years ago when I was in middle school, there was a trans-gendered member of the congregation. I never said things directly to the person, but when talking with friends I often was unsure what pronoun to use-he or she. So many friends and I being young and confused, said "It". We only used it among each other and never directly toward the person. 

As I read the book this moment was brought back up to me. At the time I didn't know what trans-gendered meant. I had heard my mom talk about it, but it never really clicked for me. Reading this book I was brought to a point where I sat down one night to just have a talk with God as I usually do to wind down before bed, and this time I mentioned seeking forgiveness for the wrong doing. 

I especially enjoyed this book because I often find with gay pride books that bring religion into play they often get very preachy and just throw bible quote after bible quote out there. This book had a good balance of looking at the bible story and what it means, as a oppose to just the quote, and a dose of real life experiences from people who shared their story.

It was an AWESOME read and I am happy to have choosen it. Check it out if you too are into Gay Pride and Religion.

"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

 


No comments:

Post a Comment