Monday, August 24, 2015

Red Eyed Baby

Yesterday I posted that I want to start writing again. Right now at this moment, my husband is off at work and Lucas is still napping. I thought "what better time to write then now?"

I started brainstorming about possible topics and some right now that come to mind are still fresh wounds that I am not yet ready to elaborate on. So I turned to the good old internet resource GOOGLE for some writing prompts. I found a Sub Reddit that looks promising:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/comments/3i7zyu/wpyou_live_in_a_dystopian_world_where_eye_color/

The prompt of this reddit is:

So, lets journey together into the year 2035 and meet this new life.

History class. The most boring class of the day. Who really cares about the stuff that happened back in 2015. That was 20 years ago. Words like Obama, Ashley Madison, those are the words our grandparents chattered about on and on, but no one pays attention to anymore. Nowadays its all about who has the best virtual reality scores or who downloaded their homework from their parents memory files. 

Well until today anyway, history was the most boring class. Our first day back at school, August 24, 2035 and we walk in to a webpage open on the classroom screen. The teacher seemed so excited, like they were about to be told they won the virtual lottery. 

"Class, today we have the most wonderful news. History is happening right before our hours. Just moments before you entered into this classroom, the newest generation of the world was born. This baby is very different from any the world has ever seen." It was at this moment that the old quack pulled up a picture of what looked like any other baby. Until he scrolled down to a photo of the eyes. THE BRIGHTEST CRIMSON color anyone had ever seen. I knew from history last year about how eyes can be all different colors and something about DNA and how it makes you have a certain color. But never had we heard of red eyes. At least outside of cosplay that is. People began whispering "contacts?" "messed up parental DNA?" I don't know what it was, but I was determined to make history. I wanted to be the first one to experience first hand if this was a truth or a mystery.

When I got home there were tons of news stories all over the place talking about this baby. I almost felt bad for the kid. To be hours old and already becoming a celebrity just because you look different from the rest of the world. Who really cares what a person looks like anyway. Isn't it whats on the inside that counts? 

I threw my school bag down and turned on my virtual reality system. I wanted to dive first hand into the virtual world to determine if this was a hoax or not. I figure a little research would not only get me famous for proving it true or false, but also give me some extra credit with the history teacher. Nothing like an essay you aren't expecting from a student on the second day of school to them on your good side. 

________________

Amazing what just 15 minutes of typing can turn out. I know this story only starts to answer the prompt. But I feel like its a good accomplishment for now. 

What do you think, should I follow through and write more of this story in the future? 
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment